Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sexuality and Value Systems




     It was Aristotle that once said “We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly” (Value Quotes, 2011, para. 1).  Concerning value systems and sexuality, I believe that everyone forms his or her beliefs based on what they were taught growing up.  However, there are a vast number of questions that can and should be asked before making any decision on engaging in sexual relations.  Moral, ethical, and personal beliefs are but a few.  As for my personal decisions, a mixture of legalism and rationalism appear to be the value systems I tend to follow.  Legalism is the aspect I follow for my moral and ethical bases; as inspired by God (Rathus, Nevid, & Fichner-Rathus, 2005).  Scripture provides many guidelines for moral and ethical behavior.  Although I have not always found my moral and ethical guidelines through the inspiration of the Lord, rationalism has provided me with an aspect of decision-making that has proven to be beneficial in the decisions concerning my sexual well-being.  As indicated by Rathus, Nevid, and Fichner-Rathus (2005) the rationalist side of me has used intellect and reasoning to make decisions based on personal consequences.  If I were to be ashamed of what I was doing or for my family to know what I was doing then I just don’t.  Sexuality is a beautiful part of humanity and can likewise be the most dreadful.  While I represent the majority of my decisions are based on the legalism value system, it is apparent that I have adopted the rationalism system from time to time to help me in making sense of my own sexuality and behavior.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment