Saturday, March 29, 2014

Erikson's Timeline




“Help me St. Anne … I want to be a monk!” exclaimed the young law student in 1501, after lightning struck the ground next to him (McAdams, 2006, p. 343).  Although I do not desire to become a monk, I do have aspirations to pass on God’s word and help my fellow human improve upon his or her interpersonal relationships; both individually and socially.  According to Eric Erikson’s theory of psychosocial development, the eight stages of life are stimulated by “changes within the individual and the individual’s social world” (McAdams, 2006, p. 347).  Each psychosocial stage answers a poignant life question allowing him or her to move to the next stage in life.  As an example of the differences between two of these psychosocial development stages, I have advanced to the mature adulthood stage of my life, while my daughter is in the young adulthood stage of her life.
I am a 47-year-old woman in the generativity versus stagnation stage of life.  Although, the only babies in my future will be grandbabies, I am looking forward to parading my granddaughter, and any other grandchildren that my daughter might provide me with, around the world to show him or her off.  I look forward to continuing to work, helping my family and my community because, at this stage of life, adults “need to be needed” (McAdams, 2006, p. 361).  Continuing to stay active and involved, allows me to provide, not only my family but also for future generations; answering my central question “How can I provide for the next generation?” By maintaining a loving family, a strong connection to the community, a strong faith, and a healthy lifestyle I can maintain the seven psychosocial features of generativity: cultural demand, inner desire, and concern, belief in the species, commitment, action, and narration (McAdams, 2006). 
My daughter, on the other hand, who is 26 would be in the young adulthood stage of life; transitioning from the identity versus role confusion into the intimacy versus isolation stage.  Like so many young women in American society, the intimacy and identity roles became interconnected before she had matured enough to realize who she truly was.  I see her asking herself the Who am I, How do I fit into the adult world, and How can I love questions; however, she struggles to balance work, school, her five-year-old, and form a lasting relationship.  Erickson intimates to be truly intimate with others one must first identify with oneself (McAdams, 2006).  I believe, as Erikson suggests in stage reversal that because she did not allow herself to form an identity about whom she was as an individual, before embarking on commitments in intimacy, she may be trying to define herself through her intimate relationships.
Growing up and growing old can be difficult for anyone.  According to McAdams (2006) changes “can be generally grouped into three categories: changes in body, cognition, and society” (p. 353).  These pressures help move each person through the eight stages of life and guide him or her in answering the central questions; “who am I?” and “how do I fit into the world?”  Even in my personal life, Erikson’s theory has provided me with a better understanding of why, at the generativity versus stagnation stage, I care what happens to the generations behind me.  His theory also gives a clear understanding of why it is important for young adults to fully understand how he or she fits into the adult world and who he or she is to provide his or her life with meaning and purpose before embarking on the challenges of adult love and commitments. I for one look forward to completing my journey through this stage of life; praising God for his blessings and grace, encouraging my daughter to find her identity and happiness, and pursuing my degree in psychology so I can continue to make a difference to my fellow man.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment