Saturday, March 29, 2014

Personal Narrative




Why is it that a person’s purpose and meaning tend to evolve through the stages of life?  What we want in childhood is not what we want as a young adult and yet again not what we want in our mature adulthood stages of life.  Traits, a mixture of genetics, environmental pressures, and psychological pressures all play a part in setting the stage for these changes.  According to McAdams (2006), commitment stories are a beneficial way of passing on and remembering one’s own life story to convey a caring and supportive approach to life.  Disclosing purpose, meaning, what supportive factors played a role, and what if anything could have been changed is helpful when providing information about one’s life.  
Since rebounding from an illness that caused life threatening issues, I have become less success driven and more focused on maintaining a relationship with God, a healthful lifestyle, and my family’s well-being.  I have taken an interest in learning about psychological healing so that I will be able to keep my mind active and volunteer with my community to help those in need of counseling.  I have been trying to maintain a healthful lifestyle in eating more nutritious meals, exercising my body and mind, and by trying to provide a living example of a caring, supportive, positive role model for my family and community.  By exercising my religious beliefs and reaching out to God, I have found the support and spiritual well-being that has provided me with peace of mind and forgiveness.
“Traits are” according to McAdams (2006), “viewed as dispositions that have some causal influence on behaviors, though the influences are complex and exist in interaction with situational factors” (p. 118).  It is my belief that behavioral dispositions caused the shift in purpose and meaning to take place in my life.  I always have been a conscientious person; when my life situation changed (e.g. severe illness) and the external influences changed (e.g. stress and social pressure), so did my drive for a success-based lifestyle.  In essence these traits exerted an impact on my behavior significant enough to influence a more positive change for my well-being.  
My personality is a product of my genetics, environment, and psychological experiences which include gender, family, culture, race, and religion.  As a woman I have a tendency to view and experience life on a more emotional level.  It has been shown that personality begins with the type of care provided by the parent or caregivers (e.g. authoritative, indulgent, authoritarian, and neglecting).  Although every child in the family will be somewhat different because of innate differences in situational factors; experiences, beliefs, and gender.  My cultural experiences as a white middle class woman have provided me with specific standards and expectations to which I am judged in the social realm.  Whereas, religion plays a powerful role in the development of personality as it pertains to morals and guidance.  Although modernity is the driving force to abolishing religion as a non-progressive form of advancement, I for one, am choosing to embrace my faith to provide me with direction, meaning, and purpose (McAdams, 2006).   
  My life is blessed, I have a beautiful, talented daughter, a happy, healthy granddaughter, a loving, courageous husband, and friends with whom I can love and count on.  As I look back on my life, if there were one thing I could change it would have been to be stronger for my brother and me.  As an adult I became very active in working with children to report abuse; however, when I was the victim of abuse it was a different story.  Frightened and isolated, I thought no one could help to stop the beatings.  This is what I would change; I would use the strength that I have now, to reach out to teachers and community services that could have intervened at the onset of this horrific situation.  Freeing me of the awful burden to maintain the false image that my father and his wife were good people and everything was fine.
Life has its challenges and working through these difficult times builds strength, and passion to live life for a better purpose.  Traits are formed through the entire experience of life; genetic predisposition, how we are treated as an infant and growing up, familial and external experiential factors (e.g. family events versus school), and religious experiences.  While there are past situations that I wish were different, without the experience of these encounters I may have developed a different personality and not be in the incredible position I am now.  Morrie Schwartz stated it best “The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning” (Albom, 1997, p. 127).  With that, it is my goal to continue to embrace this attitude about life. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment